Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mestizo's 92 Nissan 240SX Coupe Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Jul 30 2007, 09:52 PM)
Thanks Jon, which vid are you talking about, this most recent one or another?

Sorry The May to July progression video...only plays for 40 seconds for me. Man I wish I could have seen the car the other day I have been wanting to see it all done.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
That's weird it plays fine on my comp and I DL'ed it to my other comp and plays ok there too. Must be something else wrong.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well project RB25DET begins, I got money for my Civic Hatch shell on Friday so I ordered a Mckinney RB25 mount kit and 1 piece drive shaft. I also ordered a Greddy M Spec intercooler. Now all I need is my GSR motor to sell so I can get my RB25. Anyways thats it for now, there might be a surprise coming this weekend but at the moment it's not 100% for sure. On that note I will leave you in suspense until then, lol.

SALTiNE

SALTiNE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars, Video games, Pepsi, and Long Walks on the Beach
Damn, I hate suspense sad.gif

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well I have a few updates. My McKinney rb25 mounts and drive shaft were delivered, also today my Greddy M Spec intercooler arrived!!! emthup.gif

Now for a bit of explanation…

I went with the Mckinney setup because they were the first to make an RB25 S13 swap kit. Another reason is because they stand behind their product. Yet another reason is it’s the lowest sitting and farthest back mount kit that is made so the weight distribution is almost the same as the stock motor. There have been a few people who say that it is a weak kit... lol I showed the mounts to Jon and he said the same thing I did there is nothing weak about this kit. Jon would know since he fabs huge metal awnings all day, he knows what he is talking about. I will say this tho, I think the mount kit is a lil over priced and the drive shaft is very over priced, however it is a great kit and I don't mind paying for it. Not to mention I got the drive shaft used with less than 500 miles on it for the same as it would have cost me to get a custom one made. All in all it I am only $900 over the cost of installing an SR20DET swap, plus the RB25DET has way more potential in its stock form than the SR has. The weight difference of the RB has been grossly blown out of proportion, the difference is negligible.

As far as the Greddy M Spec intercooler kit, I went this setup since it is good up to about 350HP. Right now 300 is all I want out of my RB setup, that is plenty of power to drift with. I could have bought a cheap eBay intercooler kit that used the same core as the Greddy but I didn’t want to take the chance that the welds were half assed. So for the extra $150 I spent on the Greddy I got my reassurance.

Ok now that I have gotten that off my chest, here are the pics that I know everyone has been waiting for.

Here is a pic of the intercooler next to my wide body fenders, you can see just how big it is.

Mckinney mount kit and 1 peice drive shaft good to 700hp

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Sweet!!! bow.gif
Yep I was dumbfounded when Rob told me someone claimed to broke a set of the Mckinny mounts....Um right! no.gif It would tear the OEM parts to shreds before those mounts failed. I fully believe the could hold ou to a 900hp beast and not give way. But that is just what I think.
Congrats on all the killer goodness...I am looking forward to helping you put it all in.

SALTiNE

SALTiNE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
WoW I like that alot!! My boy is about to sell his B20 for $1600 within the next week or two. He wants to know if he gave you the $1600, if you would hold the GSR motor until he got the last $400?? Rob??

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Yea I can hold it for that amount of cash

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Cars and Girls
QUOTE (mestizo @ Aug 23 2007, 11:07 PM)
Yea I can hold it for that amount of cash

Good to see evrything go steady for you.
02 Toyota Celica GT (dead)
91 Honda CRX LS V-tec (will be missed)
H1Racing.com

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well I decided that it was time to do the 5 Speed swap, so on monday I pulled the motor/tranny. I found out that my motor mounts were broke and falling apart, so instead of putting the motor back in on monday I'm waiting to get my Nismo mounts in the mail. Anyways here some pics, also for those of you wanting to know what the difference between manual and automatic fly wheel bolts is I have the answer.

Engine bay before.

Bye bye auto tranny you did your job well.

Hood off for better clearance to work.

Removing the wiring harness and other parts.

Yum! Draining the ATF emthdown.gif

More removal of parts.

Ok just under 2 hours later she is ready to be pulled! emthup.gif

Out!

Ok here is the difference between auto and manual flywheel bolts, you can see how much longer the manual bolts are. Also in case you want to get some from the hardware store they are 12x1.25 bolts.

Here is difference in the manual flywheel.

Flywheel installed and clutch in place.

Here is the reason why the motor didnt go back in on monday. Dam broken mount! emthdown.gif

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Cars and Girls
Good thing they held up when you went slideways, It woulda sucked trying to figure out why the car was so light, but at the same time powerless.
02 Toyota Celica GT (dead)
91 Honda CRX LS V-tec (will be missed)
H1Racing.com

SALTiNE

SALTiNE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
I'm still waiting for that RB to slapped in that car biggrin.gif

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Good stuff...Glad I could help out even the little that I did ...lol I could not imagine you stuffed under that dash. crazy.gif
Very nice to see the long slide comming back.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (Jonnie Fraz @ Sep 9 2007, 03:53 PM)
Good stuff...Glad I could help out even the little that I did ...lol I could not imagine you stuffed under that dash. crazy.gif
Very nice to see the long slide comming back.

LOL yea, thanks for drilling the clutch master cylinder hole! I got the rest of the pics from the swap. I seem to be missing a few finishing pics tho. Anways the car is a totally different beast now, and the is so much lighter without the auto.

Tranny bolted together with the new bolts we had to buy since the manual tranny bell housing is thicker than the auto.

Some people say the auto dust shield will not work on the manual tranny, they are wrong, knock the tab i am pointing at in the pic flat it bolts up just fine.

Manual vs. auto cross member, manual on top with the rubber mount and the auto on the bottom.

Back in!

Clutch hard line installed and modified by removing the clutch damper box and bending the line 180 degrees to fit the soft line.

Clutch pedal installed, now you can see how close the auto brake pedal is to the clutch, you can cut the brake pedal down or install a manual brake pedal. Keep in mind tho installing the manual brake pedal is not fun and takes a lot of work.

Clutch master cylinder installed, we did not take pics of the hole being drilled as there is really nothing to see.

The auto shifter trim ring, all you need to do is get the manual shifter trim ring and interior shift boot for this swap.

Manual shifter ring and interior shift boot.

Shifter installed and upper trans tunnel boot installed.

Everything back together and an Integra GSR shift knob to top it all off. LOL love the GSR shift knob.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well I finnally got some serious speed after doing the 5 speed swap, so this will improve my drift game for sure. On Sunday I went to Thunder hill for the drift practice, I don't think I did to bad considering I have been doing this since last december and this was only the 3rd time drifting the car as a 5 speed. Anyways it was a lot of fun, now onto the pics and video.

Video link, right click and save as, http://mestiso.net/m...ll9-16-2007.wmv

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
biggrin.gif Nice video... where's mine?

I think we need a tripod... I didn't realize what you actually looked like out there until the video. Watching the little screen just doesn't give you the depth.

Andrew

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (assassin10000 @ Sep 18 2007, 02:54 PM)
biggrin.gif Nice video... where's mine?

I think we need a tripod... I didn't realize what you actually looked like out there until the video. Watching the little screen just doesn't give you the depth.

Andrew

Yea I agree thats why I hate video taping cuz you cant really see the real action. I have a tripod I just forgot it, as for the footage of you it's on my comp I figured you wanted to do the editing of it.

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
LOL!!! "insert sponsor here." That was awesome!!!You were definitly carring more speed! We need a skidpad!!

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (Jonnie Fraz @ Sep 18 2007, 08:31 PM)
LOL!!! "insert sponsor here." That was awesome!!!You were definitly carring more speed! We need a skidpad!!

Hahahaha yea i thought you would like that, i was fighting push all day cuz of my bald front tires, so I could have done better. I had to compensate in order to get it sideways at all. However just like when I had the auto I used the disadvantage to help teach me more than I would have learned with a "perfect" setup.

I did learn a lot for it only being my 3rd time drifting the car since the 5 speed swap, but if you think that was fast you should see Andrew on the skid pad. LOL I wish you could have seen me on friday when i went 60mph... man that was really fast for my car.

SALTiNE

SALTiNE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
even though I didn't have my car there, which I wish I could've. But I hate Ref tickets. Anyhow, it was alot of fun to ride with ppl and just being in the atomsphere of Thunderhills. Especially since we camped there the night before

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users