Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mestizo's 92 Nissan 240SX Coupe Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well I took my T/C brackets off the car and dropped them off at Jon's house so he can weld my brackets up to look like his! Can't wait to get them on! Thanks man!!!

I still have not decided what I wanna do as far as a bumper, I think if they send me my fenders that I will just wait until the Version select bumper comes in, cuz I can go get a stock bumper for now for like $100 and have my front end now. Maybe everyone else can help me decide whether to wait or not if I post some pics of the two.

This is Version Select version II bumper... this is one i really want. Both bumpers are almost identical except the Version Select has smaller side openings which I think makes it look less aggressive which is what I want, however like I said I would have to wait until mid may b4 i get it.

Here is the Origin-Lab stylish bumper which i can get now. But again the larger openings make it look more agressive to me.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Version Select II

The uber sized openings on the origin kill the looks of it to me.

Andrew

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well some more updates thanks to Jon!!! I took my front tension rod brackets over to his place so he make his own version of the Nismo power brace and in the end he made this version even beefier than the one he made for himself. I must say that he made this thing in like 10 mins and the welds look great! After he got done welding it all up i took it home threw some engine enamal paint on it and put it back on. So we will see how it changes the car later tonight. Again, thanks Jon! Anytime u need some help let me know.

In Jon's custom made jig with extra tubing on the inside of the brackets. The Jig is ready to make more of these so any 240 guys out there want some just hit him up for a price, I'm sure it will be way lower than what the Nismo brace costs and will be way stiffer/stronger too.

Now all welded up with the bottom plates.

Here are some close up pics of Jon's welds, for as lil time as he welded them, they sure came out clean as hell and had great penetration.

Here it is all painted up... the 2nd Stealth Fab power brace ever made.

Now fully installed, looks and fits great!

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Mestiso,
Wow the paint looks nice! I am glad it went in nice...I am guessing things went well last night. Thanks for the props, I am glad I could do it for you.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
No problem Jon. One of the first things i noticed right away was pulling out of my drive way, I could actually feel the front felt stiffer. Then on the way to the spot last night my girl says "it's quieter" right as I was about to say same thing. It trips me out how much difference it made on general ride quaility, the car rides smoother over bumps, feels more stable and is queiter.

Ok on to what I know Jon wants to know about... drifting the car was a lot different, the car felt way better at turn in, as well as the steering is alot more precise while drifting. It did create a bit more understeer "feeling" but not very much understeer itself. However after a few setting changes on my KTS coils it felt like it did before and I was able to hold some really fast high angle drifts better than before. Also another thing, the felt like the braking was alot more responsive and I was able to modulate it more to help slow down my drifts. I guess all of this must have to do with the caster changing under hard braking/steering, since those brackets hold the t/c rods which control how much caster the front suspension has.

Everyone seemed to like the look of the bar, at least what little they could see of it from my engine bay. So hopefully soon Jon may have some more business!

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Apr 14 2007, 01:35 PM)
Ok on to what I know Jon wants to know about... drifting the car was a lot different, the car felt way better at turn in, as well as the steering is alot more precise while drifting. It did create a bit more understeer "feeling" but not very much understeer itself. However after a few setting changes on my KTS coils it felt like it did before and I was able to hold some really fast high angle drifts better than before. Also another thing, the felt like the braking was alot more responsive and I was able to modulate it more to help slow down my drifts. I guess all of this must have to do with the caster changing under hard braking/steering, since those brackets hold the t/c rods which control how much caster the front suspension has.

Everyone seemed to like the look of the bar, at least what little they could see of it from my engine bay. So hopefully soon Jon may have some more business!

Awesome! clap.gif It is amazing how much difference just the little things make. I will have to come up with a fair price for others interested in getting them fabbed up.
Hey did the power steering bracket line up ok or do we have to do somthing there?

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (Jonnie Fraz @ Apr 14 2007, 02:21 PM)
  Hey did the power steering bracket line up ok or do we have to do somthing there?

You can only get one bolt in it, but it's more than enought to hold the line. I might be able to get a shorter bolt and put in there but like I said the it held fine with the one.

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Cars and Girls
I say go with version II.
02 Toyota Celica GT (dead)
91 Honda CRX LS V-tec (will be missed)
H1Racing.com

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (RicerX @ Apr 15 2007, 04:34 PM)
I say go with version II.

Yea I agree I just dont want to wait til may but seems everyone else is in agreement with me on which one looks better. So I guess i will just wait. Thanks for the input tho! emthup.gif

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well I have a couple of small updates, no pics tho...

As some of you may know my starter has been acting up, so I would have to get out of the car and tap on it while some one turns the key to get it to turn over. This got really old really quickly, so today I went to Kragen and picked up a reman'ed starter for $90. Not too bad and it comes with 2 years of road side assistance too. So if the starter wont start the car they have a 24 hour hotline to call to either get a jump start or a tow up to $60.

Also while in the process of trying to figure out if my starter was the problem, I found out my battery has a internally shorted out cell. Prolly from the lack of water it had for who know's how long. I never bothered to check it when I got the car as I figured I would get a new one anyway. So since it's bad I ordered up an ODYSSEY PC680 battery. Not only will it be new but it's 12lbs, not bad compared to the 40lbs that my stock battery wieghs. Plus it will tuck up to the side of the car so I can route my intercooler piping through there later when I get my RB25DET.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Picked up some stuff to do the 5 speed swap on my 240. I had planned to not do this swap on the stock motor since I was going to get an RB swap with the tranny, but I decided it would be in my favor to have the stock KA 5 speed for later. This way when I get my Rb swap and have to get the car smogged I can just change the motor back to the KA for a lil bit.

So with that being said I went to pick n pull today with Andrew and got a 5 speed drive shaft and upper shift boot trim ring. On friday night I picked up stock KA flywheel/bolts from a freind and a couple hours ago I picked up an S14 KA tranny from "S13 Rob" for $100. After I got the tranny I went on to eBay to order up an Exedy Stock KA clutch kit as well as a brand new shift boot. Also my Odyssey battery was delievered earlier in the week.

5 Speed drive shaft.

Stock KA24DE flywheel

S14 KA24DE 5 speed tranny

Exedy clutch kit which includes Exedy Pressure Plate, Exedy Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, Pilot Bushing and Clutch Alignment Tool.

Brand new shift boot.

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Nice...Now all you need is clutch pedal, mc, slave, line from mc to slave hard and flex, cross member...I think that is it. Let me know if you need a hand... there are a couple of tricks...like the key capture, and the park lock.
You won't need the clutch damper...It is just a pain in the ass anyway, and you get better pedal feel.
while you ar at it you might want to change your rear main seal, and your rack and pinion bushings.
Wait till you see how much lighter the 5-speed is than the auto clap.gif Auto weighs like 200 and the manual weighs like 75

Take care

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Yea I been reading up on the Auto to 5 speed swap and even with all the threads about it on the internet there are a ton of parts that they forget to mention that you need to have. As for the pedals and lines I have all that already. I got all of that a long time ago before I decided that it would be a good idea to have a full KA 5 speed swap for smog purposes later. I'll prolly come by and talk to you about doing my swap as I have questions that only people who have done this swap would kno.

A few questions I can think of off the top of my head are...
Did u use the rubber auto tranny mount on the 5 speed or no?
Did the bell housing bolts from the auto tranny work on the 5 speed?
Did u use the auto or the manual tranny dust shield?

Oh and I forgot to mention I went to pick n pull again on monday and managed to to find an S14 5 Speed tranny cross member! Woot! Now all I need are a few misc peices like a speed sensor, nuetral sensor, shifter cir clips and the shift boots.

lshatch916

lshatch916

Reverand Jones

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Me and you, yo momma and yo cousin too
QUOTE (mestizo @ May 10 2007, 06:48 PM)
Yea I been reading up on the Auto to 5 speed swap and even with all the threads about it on the internet there are a ton of parts that they forget to mention that you need to have. As for the pedals and lines I have all that already. I got all of that a long time ago before I decided that it would be a good idea to have a full KA 5 speed swap for smog purposes later. I'll prolly come by and talk to you about doing my swap as I have questions that only people who have done this swap would kno.

Oh and I forgot to mention I went to pick n pull again on monday and managed to to find an S14 5 Speed tranny cross member! Woot! Now all I need are a few misc peices like a speed sensor, nuetral sensor, shifter cir clips and the shift boots.

AHHHHH good ole auto to manual swap....

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ May 10 2007, 06:48 PM)
I'll prolly come by and talk to you about doing my swap as I have questions that only people who have done this swap would kno.

Nice find!

I used the manual tranny mount
I used the manual bolts...I think they are shorter
I used the manual dust sheild, but the auto one will work, you just need a sheild to take up the 1/8" or so.
Come by any time

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Cool thanks for the help Jon.

Anyways since I have not posted any pics of the car in a while ill throw some out there now. This is basically what the car looks like except for the rear valences are on it now. I know there has not been much progress on the outside but that's kind of the last of my concerns u know. But hopefully my fenders and front bumper will be here soon. Also with my birthday coming up in June I may get some wheels as a bday present from my girlie! emthup.gif

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well time for an update. My wheels came in yesterday to America's Tire Co, so Kelly and I went to pick them up today. At the moment she paid for the wheels as an early birthday present, however I have no intention of letting her pay for all 6 of the wheels. With that being said, ill be paying her back some moeny on my next check.

I actually wanted the Gun metal color of these wheels but they would take a while longer to get so I went with the bronze color instead. I am really glad that I did, cuz they look so sick in the sun light. All the pics on the net that I had seen of them did not flatter the color in any way, but man in person they look sooooo much better. The wheels are made by "MB Motiring", at least thats the American name for them. That are actually made by "A-Tech", which is a Japanese company from what I have read. They go by the name "Weapons" either here or in Japan. I went with (6) 17 x 9 +17 offset with a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern, later I will add some spacers to get the pefect offset for my widebody parts. So after reading that most of you now know I will have to change my hubs over to 5 lug to fit these. Also the reason for 6 wheels is so that I can have 2 dedicated for the front and 4 for the rear. This way i can have 2 full sizespares with me at all times in case I burn off a set of rear tires, which has been known to happen very often with this car... LOL clap.gif

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Now what was I gonna say????Oh thats right Gangster!
Those look so sick, I can't wait to see them in person.

Take care

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Cars and Girls
Rims look real good. Drifting with style clap.gif
02 Toyota Celica GT (dead)
91 Honda CRX LS V-tec (will be missed)
H1Racing.com

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (RicerX @ Jun 9 2007, 01:35 AM)
Rims look real good. Drifting with style clap.gif

Thanks bro. Well I got some news about my front end peices. Basically the bumper will not be here for a long ass time, so I just decided to cancel the order with Touge Factory and get my money back. So Now I have to look for a passenger side Silvia Fender and a Silvia Aero bumper again. Fucking shit man! emthdown.gif

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users