Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

alarm fuel cut relay?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

kcvpr

kcvpr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Ok.... so i finally dug into the mess of wires for my alarm today, to try and add a fuel kill to the system like you guys were explaining when i was at rob's.... and well, i couldnt find the relay for the starter kill that im supposed to tap into :-(

long story short... i called viper and it turns out the starter kill relay is onboard the alarm brain.... Is there anyway to acomplish the same thing without haveing access to the relay?

i know there is a ground that is active when the sytem is armed that can be used for relays... but that would drain the battery i would think.... and it might not work when the alarm is tripped...?

any ideas?

thanks!

and sorry for my crappy typeing/grammar i broke my arm recently and i only have use of one hand :-(

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
I am sure that there are extra switched outputs on the alarm, any of those can be used to make a fuel cut relay as well. Go to this link and it will explain the relay setup better than I can, http://www.the12volt...lays/relays.asp

kcvpr

kcvpr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Jun 13 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sure that there are extra switched outputs on the alarm, any of those can be used to make a fuel cut relay as well. Go to this link and it will explain the relay setup better than I can, http://www.the12volt...lays/relays.asp

So if i follow this it should work? except the ignition would be the fuel pump signal wire or something.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Yes, just find a hidden place for the relay and then cut the signal wire to the fuel pump and then connect the two signal wires to 87a and 30 on the relay.

kcvpr

kcvpr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Jun 19 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, just find a hidden place for the relay and then cut the signal wire to the fuel pump and then connect the two signal wires to 87a and 30 on the relay.

Ok just a few more questions... LOL rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

What color ignition (or is it ignitor? )wire should i tap into, and would 18awg wire be big enough for the 12v's going through it?

Thanks for being so patient with me LOL

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (kcvpr @ Jun 19 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok just a few more questions... LOL rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

What color ignition (or is it ignitor? )wire should i tap into, and would 18awg wire be big enough for the 12v's going through it?

Thanks for being so patient with me LOL

Dunno what color, but most likely stock is somewhere between 12-16ga. A larger gauge wire is better than going too small and burning it up... potentially leaving you stranded somewhere. The switch side of the relay doesn't matter, as the relay only needs a very minimal amount of amperage to activate. But make sure that the throughput to the fuel pump is at least the same size wire as stock.

BTW. Wire size is not an issue with voltage, it's the amperage that requires larger wires. To allow for the larger amount of electrons flowing. Think of a larger wire, as being a larger hose and amperage is the amount of fluid going through it.

Andrew

kcvpr

kcvpr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
QUOTE (assassin10000 @ Jun 19 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dunno what color, but most likely stock is somewhere between 12-16ga. A larger gauge wire is better than going too small and burning it up... potentially leaving you stranded somewhere. The switch side of the relay doesn't matter, as the relay only needs a very minimal amount of amperage to activate. But make sure that the throughput to the fuel pump is at least the same size wire as stock.

BTW. Wire size is not an issue with voltage, it's the amperage that requires larger wires. To allow for the larger amount of electrons flowing. Think of a larger wire, as being a larger hose and amperage is the amount of fluid going through it.

Andrew
Thanks for the help!

I ended up using the 12v wire from the power lock relay, and 14awg wire.... It works as far i know, but i haven't tested it yet. biggrin.gif

Also they way i have it wired now, somehow burned up the original door lock relay ( i dunno how), but if it burn up my new relay, can i just run a wire straight to the battery and use that?

Thanks for putting up with all of my questions guys!!!!!

;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users