Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Spool goodness - hopefully.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Need I say more? pimp.gif

Andrew

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
MMMMmMmMmmMMmmmm Spool!!! Good now u can join the rest of us that have all the time locked rear ends! emthup.gif

MASTR Z

MASTR Z

The Z NotZ

• Known Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:driving my Z to its limits and then some...
ooooohhhhh soooooo preeeeeettyyyy.....

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Nice man! That has to weigh about 1/4 as much as your diff. Low rotating mass Yumm!

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (Jonnie Fraz @ Apr 24 2007, 03:33 PM)
Nice man! That has to weigh about 1/4 as much as your diff. Low rotating mass Yumm!

EXACTLY!!! Maybe even less than that, my Cusco 2-way is a heavy sumbitch.

Andrew

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
A whole buncha updates:
________________________________________________________________________________
___

6/03/07

I got around to putting together a spare diff to swap it out, about a month and a half ago.

________________________________________________________________________________
___

6/04/07

The next day I tried to install it and found out this:

The splines in the spool are too long. Causing the axles to bottom out on their splines. I've tried both style axles lsd & non-lsd and although the non-lsd axles are shorter, they still stick out 1-3mm. I'm waiting to find out if there was some sort of bullshit production issue or what I have to do.

___

7/21/07

Finally getting around to getting this thing in.

After some thinking about how to get this spool in without having to machine out the splines or really fuck with shit. I realized I could simply make an adapter/spacer to effectively make the axle housing a little longer. I took the measurements and verified my axle seals would still ride on the retainer/sealing surface. And then I went a saw a machinist that's a friend of a friend. I had these adapters made up, which basically all they do is space the axle, backing plate, brakes, etc. out further so the axles fit without any problems. Just a slightly wider rear track emthup.gif .

Fortunately the studs are JUST long enough that I get enough thread engagement, they are basically flush with the end of the nut. I'll let you know my impressions of it later, need to head back out to the garage, fill the diff, drop it on the ground and take it for a test drive.

rant.gif I hate gear oil.

Andrew

p.s. I'm not entirely certian, but these spacers MIGHT possibly make it possible to use non-lsd axles with an OEM lsd... I dunno. Maybe.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Ok, so this last weekend I had a chance to put this thing through it's paces.

It drives just like my 2-way did/does. The ONLY difference is that it drags the tire/chirps/hops during low speed parking lot manuevers AND it's more consistent initiating (since it reacts EXACTLY the same each time).

With the combination of the spool and the 4.1 gears I'm able to do some decently outlandish drifting with it. So far VERY happy with it, but I want to get to a track which is fast enough to see how the car is going to act in 3rd gear now.

It also feels very good gripping corners in the dry smile.gif Just like real race cars that run spools.

Andrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users