Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Andrew's AE86 #2

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Dragged the front hubs outside, tore down & repacked the wheel bearings with new grease.

Installed the front hubs, front brake calipers & brackets. Connected the front sway bar after this pic was taken.

Mestiso showed up and we threw the front end on, also I installed the hood lock pins and then we adjusted fenders/hood/etc. (not perfect, but good enough for now)

Dragged the new axle housing out, cleaned it out, and stuck it up in place with the old stock 4-links. Installed the new rear susp.

Installed the rear brake calipers, stuck the rotors up in place & bled the brakes.

Not much left to go, I hope...

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Picked up my new R&P from a friend who set it up yesterday.

Pattern. Red = setup on machine at Toyota, Yellow = where it is set at.

New axle (used part) to replace old bent one.

Pressed on some new axle bearings yesterday as well.

Installed the diff.

Installed my driveline.

Installed axles, rear brakes & set e-brake adjustment.

Fluids of choice. Redline MT90 for the tranny, Motul 90PA for the diff. (Filled trans yesterday, diff today)

Got my steering wheel back.

Today installed my new rear 4-link & lateral rod to replace the busted ish.

Dropped car on the ground, this is how the ride height sits with no adjustment from me. I'm going to leave it here for now, it's almost the same as TRD Race spring height. Which is what I had before.

On the ground, awaiting a new windshield. I did cruise it windshieldless to the gas station through the backroads.

MASTR Z

MASTR Z

The Z NotZ

• Known Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:driving my Z to its limits and then some...
it was damn nice to see Andrew and the little red drift toy 2 together wastin tires... it was even better being out slidin around and actually having a bit of control... keepin it off the curbs and away from the light poles..

overall, it's good to have ya back up and runnin Andrew...

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Indeed lol... sup matt?

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Wow gentelmen, that was a very nice build! That was quite a project.
I am guessing that was the crash you were telling me about Mestizo?
Andrew, I am glad to see you were not hurt in the crash. Again very nice build, thanks for taking the time to document this.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Yes that was the car i was talking about. Came out nice tho!

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Had some spare time on my hands yesterday. Yanked the bent traction bracket and straightened it (what a PITA). And reinstalled.

Andrew

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Been a SUPER long time since I've done any updating of this thread. But here's a quick synopsis.

Got rid of the old traction brackets and got some BV ones (better quality & design IMO). Replaced all the crappy worn out whiteline endlinks with my own solid endlink setup.

Comparison shit vs. good.

Reinstalled this sucker.

Spent a couple months drifting it and hit the auto-x once. Here's a couple pics from thunderdrift.

Here's where the large downtime started...

Blew the 6th rear diff and built a 7th, but an upgrade from the weak stock ones. (approx 2mo wait/downtime)

See this thread for more details: http://www.mestiso.n...p?showtopic=448

After getting the diff in and running I took it that very next weekend to the auto-x and had some fun. But that night as I was cruising out I came around one corner and my motor started knocking. Unfortunately to us (even with good mechanical knowledge) the noise sounded exactly like a rattling heat shield. Turned around and started to go back towards home and it didn't even make it 200 yards... Motor siezed up and wouldn't turn over. Towed it home & it's been sitting since. (6 mo downtime)

We'll, finally fed up with waiting to gather lots of money for the 'planned swap'. Yesterday (sunday) I went to the junkyard & bought another 4ag for the time being....

No pics yet, but the motor is behind the car & I started pulling the upper part of the removal process/engine bay apart last night while I was still motivated wink.gif .

Andrew

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Dam about time u updated this thread!

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Nov 10 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dam about time u updated this thread!

Lolz...I saw the thread was bumped and I was thinking Wow new info on one of the engines....nope.
Andrew...a little help here...lol

Copilot

Copilot

Wait... How old are you again?!

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
aww cmon dont loose motivation....do it now.

00 RL Dumped on Type S wheels Stock as can be....
03 Hoe 4x4 on them stock 16s wit KnN intake and a magnaflow....HOTNESS

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (Jonnie Fraz @ Nov 10 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lolz...I saw the thread was bumped and I was thinking Wow new info on one of the engines....nope.
Andrew...a little help here...lol

Wat?!? huh.gif

To quote myself...
QUOTE (assassin10000 @ Nov 10 2008, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We'll, finally fed up with waiting to gather lots of money for the 'planned swap'. Yesterday (sunday) I went to the junkyard & bought another 4ag for the time being....

No pics yet, but the motor is behind the car & I started pulling the upper part of the removal process/engine bay apart last night while I was still motivated wink.gif .

Wouldn't you consider that new info on one of the engines question.gif

QUOTE (LGND2NV @ Nov 10 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aww cmon dont loose motivation....do it now.

Just cause you want to see, doesn't mean I need to do it...

I ked, I ked.

A lil more progress, here's a couple pics:

Andrew

Copilot

Copilot

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
So all the reason for you to get it going....you and rob.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (LGND2NV @ Nov 11 2008, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So all the reason for you to get it going....you and rob.

Yeah yeah yeah. whistle.gif

Did some minor ish tonight, motor mounts & brackets, alternator bracket. I also changed these to be held on by only studs. After having to tap all the holes to clean them up as FWD/Transverse doesn't use the same mounting points as the RWD layout. Removed the front backing plate and replaced it with the unbent one from the old motor. Torqued the timing belt tensioner & camgears (reset cam timing).

Removed the waterpump as I decided to order new o-rings/gaskets for it, and the intake/tvis & rear water outlet today.

I'll probably continue on with the stuff I CAN actually swap over until I get the necessary gaskets. Or atleast get everything off the old motor so I can take it back and get a $20 core back.

Andrew

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Another small update.

Picked up my new gaskets yesterday at lunch, and a new pilot bearing since the old one was toasted.

Last night swapped the waterlines, water outlets, TVIS butterflies, intake manifold, fuel rail/injectors, ect... Also swapped the clutch disc/pressure plate on after installing the new pilot bearing. Bolted the transmission up, and it was pretty much ready to be dropped back in. Picked rob up for a second set of hands and we dropped the motor & trans back into the car. The only thing bolted on at the moment is the trans crossmember, so it's just sitting in the car. Got a bit more work to do. Hopefully if it all goes well it'll be running this weekend sometime.

Andrew

Copilot

Copilot

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well since I know Andrew will prolly sleep most of the day away I will let everyone know the motor we picked up from the yard last sunday was running and sideways early this morning! thumbsup.gif

Copilot

Copilot

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
SweetGood shit!!

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well the happy times were short lived... this motor started knocking early sunday morning. We're not sure about what caused it but I think since the motor was a bit sludged up a small part of that may have come loose and clogged an oil passage way.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Nov 17 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the happy times were short lived... this motor started knocking early sunday morning. We're not sure about what caused it but I think since the motor was a bit sludged up a small part of that may have come loose and clogged an oil passage way.

Either that or you jinxed me by posting it was running and ready before the 'break-in' period was over....

haha. jk.

Anyways, I'm going to start pulling it soon and rebuild it. Might even consider buying cams/pistons and doing a few things like an updated oil pump & shimmed relief valve for a boost in oil pressure.

Andrew

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users