Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mestizo's 92 Nissan 240SX Coupe Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Ok more updates.

I burned off another set of tires in the rear on saturday night. Also my Carbing front strut bar is in the USA after a long journey from Japan. I ordered up a set of Z32(300ZX) inner tie rods cuz they are stronger than s13/14 inner rods and also a set of SPL Pro outter tie rod ends with bumpsteer adjustment. Man I can't wait to get everything! Anyways that's it for updates for now too busy with a lot of other shit. But I will leave u with this... A lil video I made of me drifting. I dont think I am doing too bad for only doing this for 2 months and it's 2 months of weekends only not every day. OK OK enough of me trying to brag lol the link is below.

Right click and "save as"
http://mestiso.net/m...izo2-3-2007.wmv

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Cars and Girls
NICE!!!!:clap:
02 Toyota Celica GT (dead)
91 Honda CRX LS V-tec (will be missed)
H1Racing.com

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (RicerX @ Feb 6 2007, 11:57 PM)

THanks man! emthup.gif

More updates!!!
I ordered a brand new 20pc set of Zenki forged aluminum lug nuts from a Zilvia.net member for the crack head price of $30 shipped. A while back I paid $65 for a 16pc set for my hatch, so yea this is a pretty good deal lol. I also got around to fixing my heads up display, man what a bitch! The area that i had to work in was so small. But I got it done so now my dash turns on when it's supossed to and not like 30 mins later when it warms up biggrin.gif I also picked up some more tires for the rear, they are with Andrew right now so he can take them to his old work and mount them for me.

That's it for now, prolly won't be until next week that I can do anything more to the car since all my parts wont be here until next week some time.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Ok well time for some more update's... some good and some not so good. I got my Zenki lug nuts on Saturday and installed them. I had two good nights of drifting. Friday and saturday night it was raining so it was really easy on my tires and it helps to teach me good throttle/steering control. Today I went to pick n pull to get some stuff. I got a good passenger door handle, driver's side bumper trim and a stock open diff. I also picked up a second stock open diff from a guy that goes out drifting with us. You will understand in a lil bit why I got 2 more open diff's today. That was the good portion of this update.

Now the bad part, well in the middle of an awesome dori my rear diff blew up, this is why i bought 2 more diff's today. LOL i was pissed and amused at the same time. Im sure it was a peice of slag that came off and got inside the bearings of the diff while i was drifting. The reason I say this is when my dad and I welded the diff we didnt even think to cover the bearings while welding the spider gears. We welded one side before I realized what we had done. I then tried to remove all the slag/spatter I could from the bearings, but I guess I didnt get it all out. As you can see in the pics below there is a small hole in the rear cover of the diff where I am sure a piece of the ring gear blew out and u can see it blew out the seals on the output shafts too.

So like I said I got 2 diffs now. Basically I am going to keep one as a spare in case this ever happens again. However it prolly wont since tomorrow I am going to Santa Clara to get a Weld Loc'd diff from SDP. The guy Luke over there has been doing these special welded diff for a while now. He and several other competative drifters have used and abused them in competitions. What they do is use metal pieces to engage the spider gears and weld everything together as one. He has done more than 200 diff's this way, some over 5 years old and none have blown up or worn out. I figure a $100 to get a diff that will prolly last forever is a good thing. There is more info on the diff's here http://www.shockdrif...m/weldlocd.html

Anyways here are the pics...

Zenki lugs, I got a 20pc set in case I ever do a 5 lug conversion.

Here they are installed.

Kinda blurry but u can see the small hole in the diff cover.

Here u can see where it pushed gear oil out of the seals and the hole in the diff cover.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
I'm back... and yes more updates.

I got my Weld Locd diff from Luke at SDP yesterday night, he seems like a decent guy. He ended up giving me a Version 3 instead of version 4 cuz he didn't have any 4's in stock. So instead of $100 it was only $60. I popped it open tonight to take a look at the welds and to clean/paint the diff cover since he didnt have time to clean the diff I that bought. I have to say that I am not super happy about it. The weld's look really clean/strong and are placed in all the right spots, but there was some spatter on the ring gear. It's minimal spatter, but everything I have read about the diffs has said they were supossed to be pulled out, welded, cleaned/painted and then sealed back up. Obviously this didnt happen with my diff. Regardless I am going to run it, he backs his stuff and told me if it breaks he will give me another one. So I cleaned up the loose spatter, fillled the diff with Motul 90PA gear oil and sealed her back up.

Another thing I am not super happy about is my Carbing bar finally came. It's great but I guess they don't make the version of this bar that has the master cylinder stopper on it any more, which is what I thought i was getting. In either case it will help to stiffen the front end the same amount whether it has the master cylinder stopper or not.

After pulling my original diff today I found out exactly what blew my diff. It was just as I had thought, a large peice of spatter/slag got onto the ring gear. What it did was wedge itself in between the the ring gear and the diff cover this caused the peice to be blown out of the cover. Also at the same time because it had so much force trying to stop the ring gear it cracked all of my dad's welds clean. Now they didnt break apart, just cracked cleanly. emthup.gif +1 for my dad's welds and emthdown.gif -1 for us not paying attention to the slag/spatter issue.

One more thing is I decided to put my ES rear sway bar bushings on while i was working on the rear end.

Ok on to the pics.

Carbing bar straight from Japan.

Here u can see where the slag tried to wedge itself on the cover and then where it blew out the cover.

Pics of the Weld Locd 3 welds.

Motul gear oil, my cleaned/painted diff cover and the diff all back together.

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
Well, sorry about the long comment wait, internet went out. Do you think that gear oil will be ok to run in my tranny? Right now im runnin Mobil 1 synthetic 80-? gear oil.
H1Racing.com

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (RicerX @ Feb 16 2007, 12:09 AM)
Well, sorry about the long comment wait, internet went out. Do you think that gear oil will be ok to run in my tranny? Right now im runnin Mobil 1 synthetic 80-? gear oil.

Im not sure what you should run in ur tranny since it's a toyota. I know from past experience on running anything but Honda MTF will eat up the synchro's. But normally anything synthetic is usually better than dyno oil. I went with the Motul oil cuz Andrew had at his place and had already done some research into it, otherwise I would have prolly gotten Redline Synthetic MT90 for my diff.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Ok sorry for the lack of update's, I have been busy with too much stuff. Also I upgraded to Windows Vista so I have been trying to find programs that work with it since it's new... so some of my usual programs I use for resizing pics and stuff are not on my computer at the moment. Anways here is what has been done to the 240 since the last update.

2/14/2007
Kelly Bought me 2 more rear tires as a Valentines day gift.

2/15/2007
Put in the Weld Locd diff and installed my Carbing front strut bar.

2/17/2007
Ordered a Flax-a-lite variable speed fan controller from Summit racing

2/18/2007
Picked up a Nissan Altima electric fan from Pick n Pull for $41

2/19/2007
Installed Altima fan.

Now for the pics.

Empty hole where the diff used to be

Weld Locd diff installed and bolted to the sub frame

Carbing front bar installed.

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
Engine looks clean! Especially with tha bar on top!
H1Racing.com

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (RicerX @ Feb 19 2007, 10:58 PM)
Engine looks clean! Especially with tha bar on top!

LOL thanks I was thinking it looked really bad, the rust stains from before I had the car are very pronounced in the pics. Cuz in real life it's not as noticable.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
I stayed home today cuz I am sick, but the good thing tho cuz I was here for the UPS and Fedex guys. I got my SPL Z32 inner tie rods/pro outter rods and my Flex-a-lite variable fan speed controller. So I am pretty happy at the moment only problem now is I hope I get well enough to go out and put all this shit on b4 this weekend. Anyways im done ill be back with more updates later.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Ok sorry for the lack of updates but I have been busy with a lot of stuff. Anyways, I managed to get a clean set of JDM Nissan 180sx side skirts and a replica pair of Silvia K's Aero rear peices from ebay. On sunday a guy from Ziliva.net dropped off a used S13 Silvia drivers side front fender. So I am pretty happy at the moment that my aero peices are finally coming together. Not much has been done to the 240 since the last updates, pretty much the only thing to speak of is I burned off another set of rear tires... lol no surprise. Andrew got some footage of me doing some Dori runs to show my progress and I made a quick video for everyone to see.

As always right click and "Save As" to your computer.
http://mestiso.net/m...izo3-4-2007.wmv

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
The tire screeching goes with the music. Man, if I ever go out there and get to meet you guys, you gotta give me s ride! That is deffinetly something I wanna say Ive experienced.
H1Racing.com

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
UPDATES!

Few more things I picked up, just got done talking to Jonnie who just registered on here, he sold me a set of his custom aluminum Silvia head light brackets, they look good! Can't wait to get them on the car. I had Andrew order up some parts froma Ziptied hook up, so I have a Version Select II Silvia front bumper and 20mm fender coming. Also had Andrew mount up the set of tires that Kelly got me for valentines since i burned off another set of tires. Prolly have some more updates this weekend if all goes well, but for now here are the pics.

JDM 180SX Side Skirts

Test fitting them on the car

K's replica rear valences.

Here are pics of Jon's custom brackets.

Here is a pic of my tire missing a small amount of rubber, lol

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (RicerX @ Mar 8 2007, 11:25 PM)
The tire screeching goes with the music. Man, if I ever go out there and get to meet you guys, you gotta give me s ride! That is deffinetly something I wanna say Ive experienced.

lol thanks man, yea if u come out u can take a ride. Ill say this, it's addicting once u start.

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Nice build up...Very informative. I can't wait to see more...Hope those parts help out.
Take care
Jonnie

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Mar 9 2007, 12:30 AM)
lol thanks man, yea if u come out u can take a ride. Ill say this, it's addicting once u start.

Like Gambling, good thing im too young, but hey sounds like a plan, 1 more year and ill be down there.
H1Racing.com

Copilot

Copilot

Wait... How old are you again?!

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
That woulcnt happen to be (MOD EDIT: keep it on the downlow maaannnn and the answer is yes ) in the backround would it??? Looks good bro! thumbsup.gif

00 RL Dumped on Type S wheels Stock as can be....
03 Hoe 4x4 on them stock 16s wit KnN intake and a magnaflow....HOTNESS

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
LOL yes it is exactly where u think it is bro

Copilot

Copilot

Wait... How old are you again?!

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
Oops my bad! chair.gif

00 RL Dumped on Type S wheels Stock as can be....
03 Hoe 4x4 on them stock 16s wit KnN intake and a magnaflow....HOTNESS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users