Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Andrew's AE86 #2

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
So how did this thing drift? I would have gone with you sliding last night but man 4 days working outside in the heat I was beat, plus I had no time to relax from Vegas either.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Jul 19 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So how did this thing drift? I would have gone with you sliding last night but man 4 days working outside in the heat I was beat, plus I had no time to relax from Vegas either.

It seems fine. Gonna take a little adjusting to, a little more weight in the center of the car. And a few more MPH in each gear at the moment. But that may change as I'm thinking about going to a lower gear ratio wink.gif

I'm probably gonna throw the GPS in the car and go for a ride and see how far off my speedo is, sometime this week...

Andrew

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
So, long story short. After getting the car done saturday night. That same following Sunday I decided to bring it to ASB 2009 (dying for real track time) and also really put the W58 to the test. Held up awesome, shifts WAY better than my T-50 EVER did. And it took the 140 degree track temps like a champ.

Although my cooling system wasn't quite so happy. Had a couple undersize fuses that blew and ran over the 'H' several times, ARP headstuds & TRD metal HG ftw. Until I grabbed the correct size fuse which I only blew 1 of, probably got one cooling fan shorting out intermittently when running full blast. Which I don't think they EVER have, until ASB.

A few pics/quotes:

http://motormavens.c...h-weekend-pt-4/

The driver of this AE86 came all the way down from Sacramento to have fun tearing it up with the 240 guys. He was killing it all day long, making smoke with his bone stock bluetop 16valve 4AGE engine! RESPECT!!!

http://speedhunters....-continued.aspx

The event was dominated by S13's and S14's, but there were a couple nice AE86's on hand.This humble little 16-valve powered hatchback was laying down some very nice runs.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Yay, for broken engine parts! (see story below)

Saturday night I noticed a little extra ticking from my valve train. But I didn't really think much of it. Went out and had some 'fun'.

Sunday I decided to change my valve stem seals (which I'm not sure if they were changed by comptech, or if they just used shitty aftermarket ones). The reason for this was excessive 'blue/oil' smoke on startup, which can be caused by bad valve stem seals. Upon removal several came apart and seemed to be too 'brittle'.

In the process of doing this however, I discovered a valve keeper had split in two! It was the exhaust side closest to the firewall. I'm VERY lucky this split straight down and actually kept in place without falling in the engine, and causing a valve to drop. Then I'd be really screwed. Fortunately I have a spare head for parts and just grabbed one off it to replace it. And all seems to be good.

Also, my used JDM zenki rear bumper weighs 14 lbs 4 oz, vs the USDM 34 lbs 8 oz. So once I get it mounted up, 20lbs saved in that alone.

Andrew

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
So, today I found out I get to join drew with lots of 'fail'. Smog failure that is, my pos magnaflow cat is done after 2-3 years of driving. Not really a suprise, might be why they don't meet the new CA emissions requirements. Looks like I get to hit up a muffler shop and see about getting a new one... prolly $$. emthdown.gif

Andrew

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Indeed cali smog sucks!

N8_drift

N8_drift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I know something that doesn't suck........... a steering wheel signed by Katsuhiro Ueo! Bummer to hear about the smog probs, but was nice to see you guys at FD.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (N8_drift @ Aug 24 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know something that doesn't suck........... a steering wheel signed by Katsuhiro Ueo! Bummer to hear about the smog probs, but was nice to see you guys at FD.

Yeah well, yeah. Pic:

Anyways, Monday night was driving the car around no issues. Last night I popped the timing cover and adjusted the cam gears to correct to stock cam timing (due to slight difference in HG thickness) and when I started it up I had a massive noise. Metal on metal contact, I was pretty sure I dropped a valve by having another valve keeper break (like the one I found 2 weeks ago) without the luck of having it split up/down... FCUK!?! I was PISSED.

Spent an hour or so yanking the front timing covers/components, valve covers, and sparkplugs. No marks on the pistons I could see through the plug holes, motor turned smooth by hand, none of the valve buckets were popped up like they weren't retained. So I decide to pull the cams and take an even closer look. As I'm removing the back timing plate I notice 2 of the bolts are scored. Take a look at my cam gears and found the intake adj. cam gear allens had come loose. Enough so that the drag of tightening the nut on the front side moved one of the allens out about 1/4" and it was making contact with 2 of the bolts that hold the cover.

Talk about relieved! So I pulled all the allens, checked all the threads. And reinstalled with more torque than necessary & RED locktite. It better hold now.

Andrew

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
With many thanks to the Frazinator, got the control arm adjusters in. And the control arms modified wink.gif

The pictures fairly well speak for themselves. (Not too shabby for cell phone pics!)

Andrew

InfamousJesseJames

InfamousJesseJames

Dave!... Listen up!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:WOMEN &amp; CARS what else is there
AWESOME!!!! John did one hell of a Job!!! As always!!!

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Arms look awesome!! I found somthing for you on Zilvia... Andrew must click here.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Already seen 'em a while ago. Need $$$.

Hopefully my front bumper will be here soon wink.gif

Andrew

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
God Dam its about time you got that bumper!

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Bumper showed up, and I was able to pick it up friday morning.

Sent Jon a msg and he said he'd take a look at putting it on, so this morning I loaded it into the car. Made sure it was nice in snug in my recaro and drove over.

Fitting the bumper (as some may know, this is a time consuming process with constantly taking the bumper on & off).

We were able to make a fairly simple design that worked rediculously well. Went waayyy better than expected with Jon's majic fabrication skills.

Finished/Fitted/Mounted.

Andrew

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Turned out real nice! Is was nice that the 86 is fairly flat in front, it made it real easy.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Looks good, now u just need some sides and rear... and 3 more TE37's lol

InfamousJesseJames

InfamousJesseJames

Dave!... Listen up!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:WOMEN &amp; CARS what else is there
That is fucking sweet!!!! I cant wait to see what it looks like in person!!! So when is your next track day???

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (InfamousJesseJames @ Jan 10 2010, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is fucking sweet!!!! I cant wait to see what it looks like in person!!! So when is your next track day???

Maybe the 17th (this coming sunday) not too sure.

Another exterior shot:

Andrew

Just Droo

Just Droo

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
That bumper is gangster. Did that cat drive down here to get your old one?

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (Just Droo @ Jan 14 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That bumper is gangster. Did that cat drive down here to get your old one?

Nope, Jon can junk it.

In any case, earlier today I went to change my oil for the trackday sunday and I found this on my magnetic drain plug.

Looks like 3 pieces of valve keepers/locks. WTF!!! I already had one keeper break several months ago, it split down the middle but was still working as a keeper & was in the retainer holding the valve like it should. I replaced it and thought everything was cool.

Well, I just spent about 1.5 hrs tearing the head apart & removed the cams/lifters. I checked every single valve TWICE, and ALL the keepers are there!!! The only thing I can think of is that it was leftovers from before I got the engine and was lodged in the oil drain passages in the head/block. And for some reason didn't come out when I had the head/block at the machine shop being cleaned/checked/valve job/etc. And after a year of vibration and synthetic oil they unstuck themselves and dropped in the pan.

Fucking weird is what it is.

I was driving the car all week with no issues, there was no fine particles on the magnet either. Just the chunks shown. So I don't believe there is any damage. I'm probably just going to put it back together and run the shit out of it (i.e. like normal).

Andrew

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users