Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Andrew's AE86 #2

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
After much research on the oil pumps avail I ordered one up for the 91 gt-s highcomp. It has a better gear design (less likely to break) & flows higher volume. Since I won't be going over 9k (just to stock 7.5k) or running larger clearances for a 'race' motor, I didn't need to shim for more pressure.

Anyways, about 3 weeks ago I dropped my block/crank/heads/rods/pistons off to Comptech/Penny Racing Supply for some checking the block/crank, honing, 3-angle valve job and other stuff for a basic rebuild. They found the #1 exh valve was cracked (replaced for $12 - cheap huh?) and the crank needed to be turned as it had some minor damage. They had a shop turn it and provide a crank kit (resized crank w/bearings. Came with ACL 'ALUGLIDE' mains & "DURAGLIDE" rods. For the price it was well worth it, even though I would prefer OEM bearings these should be just fine. I got everything back about 1.5 weeks later and ordered up the other parts necessary (gaskets, oil pump & pickup, etc).

Tue 2/3 & Weds 2/4: I start assembling (w/Robs help) & finish the bottom end along with bolting up the head. Here are a few pics:

Plastigauge'd all my bearing clearances. (Important that they are right!)

Once those were checked it was a go for assembly. Don't forget the lube.

Be sure to clock the rings correctly and WD40 (or other light lubricant) the cylinder walls when installing the rods, pistons & rings.

Installed the new oil pump (w/front crank seal) & pickup. The rear crank cover plate & seal, windage tray, and oil pan (painted flat black). And also the cylinder head w/TRD .8mm metal headgasket (hate the OEM graphite impregnated pos).

At the ends of Weds night I dropped the cams in and measured valve clearances. Since with a valve job a small amount of material is removed from the seats & valves and needs to be compensated for. Ordered Thurs 2/5 morning, and they were set to arrive on Fri 2/6. Now we're getting into crunch time, as I was feening like a crack head after some crack rock, itchy blood and all wink.gif .

No pics from here on out (too busy for them)... but here's how it went.

Thurs 2/5: mount the external parts: water pump, outlets, lines, mounts, brackets, studs for exh manifold, intake manifold, TVIS, wiring harness, fuel rail & injectors. My hope was to slap the clutch/flywheel & trans on and have the motorset sitting in the car. Got the flywheel on and unfortunately here's where we I hit a snag. The one item I forgot to order, a pilot bearing for the input shaft of the trans. Fuck. We'll there goes that plan. It was pretty late so I went in and crashed out since there wasn't anything else I could do at that point.

Fri 2/6: Fortunately I had the foresight to ask for atleast a half-day off, thankfully it happened. So after work I went to pickup the shims for the valve adjustment... and find out 2-3 of them DIDN'T arrive. Oh man, one small thing after another (typical BS). We'll I have 2 spare cylinder heads, so I leave with the hope of finding or reusing other shims from the total of 3 cyl heads... back to the story. I stop by a Kragen after that to grab that pilot bearing, and they DIDN'T get the pilot bearing in by 12:30 like they told me, so I had to drive to another store to pick it up. When I get there they can't locate it either, so I wait 10-15 mins while they search around. Turns out their manager pulled it off the outgoing counter and threw it in a bin to have it reshelved thumbsdown.gif . But now I've got it, and I book it home to get to cracking. Jon comes over to help out while he can, and it ends up that Rob due to unforseen circumstances is around to help as well.

Installed the pilot bearing, clutch & pressure plate. Installed the trans and dropped the motorset in. At this point it's 2 in the afternoon and Jon & Rob take off as they need to grab a trailer for Rob's car. While they're gone I hook up the wiring, fuel lines, grounds, starter, egr, etc. I also set the valve clearances I can and start measuring the spares. And that's when Jon gets back to help some more. Jon takes care of the exh under the car, driveshaft, clutch slave and motor mounts. After that while I install the exh side of the cams, Jon helps with some measurements of shims off the last cyl head and finds the last shim I need to set this thing up right.

Whohoo! There is some hope of getting this done for Sat 2/7 & the full track drift event!

Jon takes off for the evening. Big thanks to both him & Rob for their help.

I keep on going with the install, button everything up and fill with fluids around 9:30 pm. After it's filled I start checking for leaks, and damn it if they're isnt one. In pretty much the worst place possible, the water pipe outlet on the back of the waterpump which is under the intake manifold, blocked from the front by the alternator and pretty much a total PITA. I'm not sure exactly why it was leaking, but after contorting myself and loosening it up and shifting the pipe a little bit. I tighten it back up and get the gasket to seal.

Hook up the battery around 9:50 and start priming. Notice a fuel smell, what else? We'll the copper gaskets for the high pressure fuel line are leaking, I have some spare new ones (as they did this to me before!) install those and it's good to go. Fire it up, it starts on the 2nd or 3rd rotation cranking. Kinda rough but the cylinders had a little gas in them from cranking it over to prime the pump. Idles up fine and I start rechecking for leaks, thankfully this time there were none. Install the hood (was off for easier access & motorset install/removal) and put the car on the ground.

Took the car out and broke it in hard thumbsup.gif . Got home and changed the oil, took a shower and went to sleep around 12:30. Got everything done JUST in time to make the event. It was worth every second of it!

It was a real blast to follow Calvin Wan around a few corners and I actually learned something from following his lines. Wish I had more power to keep up but oh well. At least I was sideways!

Andrew

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Video is up:

Andrew

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
U need more power so there is a lot of smoke for the rear facing portion of the video lol. U should get on that more power thing ASAP! thumbsup.gif

Sideways~S14

Sideways~S14

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:My Car, Import cars, and r/c cars
Very nice vid! Im liking the go pro footage alot! Did you get in trouble for the front straight dorri? lol But either way nice to see the corolla sideways again thumbsup.gif

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (Sideways~S14 @ Feb 11 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice vid! Im liking the go pro footage alot! Did you get in trouble for the front straight dorri? lol But either way nice to see the corolla sideways again thumbsup.gif

Trouble? No... Other people have tho. I guess it's ok for me smile.gif Geoff didn't have a problem with me doing it when I talked to him last. But he said something about getting permission to do so. As he didn't want any newbs to eat barrier.

Andrew

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Nice vid...came out nice!

Sideways~S14

Sideways~S14

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:My Car, Import cars, and r/c cars
QUOTE (assassin10000 @ Feb 11 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trouble? No... Other people have tho. I guess it's ok for me smile.gif Geoff didn't have a problem with me doing it when I talked to him last. But he said something about getting permission to do so. As he didn't want any newbs to eat barrier.

Andrew
Yea that would be no good to see some cars smashed up on the pit wall! Also what were those orange markers that were placed all over the track?!?!?

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Thunderhill had some samples taken of the asphalt so those cones were there to tell us where we shouldn't be due to the fact there is new asphalt that needed to dry.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
6 years of wanting these... and finally I have them.

I'm going to different tires in front that will fill some of the gap. I'll probably push the wheels out a little with spacers as well before lowering the car a little bit more. Not quite the stance I want yet, but I didn't have time to get it set perfect.

Andrew

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Um soooooo, where are the full pics of the car?

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Mar 29 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um soooooo, where are the full pics of the car?

They didn't come out that good. More will come later when I have a chance.

Andrew

Copilot

Copilot

Wait... How old are you again?!

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
Like i told you that made the car....shit looks sick as hell now...Would look even better with a big ass intercooler on the front!!!!!Quit slacking and get it done.

00 RL Dumped on Type S wheels Stock as can be....
03 Hoe 4x4 on them stock 16s wit KnN intake and a magnaflow....HOTNESS

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Amen, preach on it brother!

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
No intercooler for me...

But I have decided how I want to style the car. Going a little bit early 2k JDM style. Goodline front bumper, vented hood (Goodline as well, but I'm not getting rid of mine) and trd wing with no sideskiers & jdm kouki rear bumper.

I like the running free cars, kept simple (and prolly still streetable).

Ueo at one time was rocking a similar setup

And a guy from europe chris aka PazzaAE86 (this was end of 2007 or early 2008 of his car) and D1GB winner

Granted, my wheels wont have quite that much ballerificness (sp?) but I think it'll come out pretty decent.

Andrew

Copilot

Copilot

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
Looks good and all but an intercooler would get you through..Imagine it......50 to 5 80 mph drift without worrying about if you have enouh speed and momentum(sp) to make it thru....with a turbo an intercooler you would....So wtf. I heard that youre scared...Im not saying from who im just saying thats what i heard.....

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (LGND2NV @ Mar 31 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks good and all but an intercooler would get you through..Imagine it......50 to 5 80 mph drift without worrying about if you have enouh speed and momentum(sp) to make it thru....with a turbo an intercooler you would....So wtf. I heard that youre scared...Im not saying from who im just saying thats what i heard.....

BEST POST BY YOU EVER! lol thumbsup.gif

Copilot

Copilot

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
Lmao....Good Shit.

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Another small update.

Blew my transmission about 2-3 weeks ago (again, 3rd one!). Sold my TRD shifter to help cover the costs of the new trans. Which can't use it anyways...

So I picked up a W58 trans to swap in, comes from many heavier vehicles with more torque (ie: na 87-91 supra, 82-86 celica-supra's, etc). I'm currently machining out an adapter plate to use the original trans bellhousing, by bolting it to the W58 and then to my motor. Also having Max @ Illegal Garage make me a clutch with the larger input spline for the W58 trans to fit my 200mm AE86 flywheel. I did find an OEM option, from a 71 celica with an 8rc engine (200mm disc, 29.8mm x 21tooth input spline). But that probably wouldnt stand up to the abuse I'd put it through. And of course the driveshaft will need a different slip yoke to match the W58, and shortened again most likely.

Friday night split the bellhousings, and Saturday cleaned up the grime/grease/clutch dust. Also sunday got started with the beginnings of the adapter (no pics, yet).

Took some measurements to get an ideal of where the shifter will sit in the shifter hole. The trans I have from an RA6x celica is the 17 7/8" position (furthest left):

And with the 20mm adapter plate the W58 shifter should be around here, in comparison to the T50:

Today butchered a spare T50 bellhousing for a 4A-C (P.O.S.) to use as a template/pattern.

Andrew

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
Got a little more done today. Took the input shaft collar/flange from the T50 and had it machined to make a centering tool that slips over the W58 intput shaft collar/flange. Makes it easy to center/use the part cut off the bellhousing as a template.

Then I got to work a little on the end mill, with the chunk of 6061-t651 aluminum that is slowly taking shape to be the adapter.

Now that the first bit of drilling is done, I need to remove a LOT of material from the center. Not quite sure how I want to go about it, yet.

Andrew

Copilot

Copilot

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
So what your saying is that itll hold the power from the turbo motor youre putting in right?!?!?!?!? biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users