Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mestizo's 92 Nissan 240SX Coupe Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Ok well yesterday i finally got around to installing my SPL pro outer and inner Z32 tie rod ends. The outer rod ends come with bump steer spacers since my car is lowered the bump steer is an issue. I also got new rack boots as well since the boots that wer on my car were torn.

Parts that I used:
SPL pro outer tie rod ends from http://splparts.com/
Replacement Z32 inner rods from http://splparts.com/ but if you want to get them some where else here is the part number. Made by QSTEN, Part numbers: TRI 013 48521 10V08
McQuay-Norris rack boots from Kragen part number FA8029.

Here is the stock inner and outer rods. As you can see my rack leaks and the boots are torn. No problem tho, later I am going to change out the rack to Hicas version for a quicker sterring ratio.

Remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the rod end ball joint. Then use a ball joint popper or pickle fork to knock the ball joint from the spindle.

Now cut the tie down holding the rack boot to the steering rack and pull it out of the way.

At this point you pry the locking flange tabs back from the inner rod end. This will allow you to loosen the rod and remove it from the steering rack. There are 4 tabs but in the picture you can only see 3 that I labeled with red arrows.

Here is the stock setup vs the SPL setup. If your alignment was previously done then you should be able to just make the new inner and outer rods the same length as the stock setup. This will get u by till you get it to an alignment shop. However my car was way out of alignment when I got it so I used an old technique using a string to align it. This will have to do until I can get it to a place that can work on my car since it's so low. Make sure you install the rack boot before you fully assemble the inner and outer rods.

Now I cleaned up the rack end with some brake clean, then slide the locking flange onto the rack.

Screw the inner rod into the steering rack and tighten it down to factory specs.

Now slide the locking flange onto the end of the inner rod end.

At this point you dimple the end of the locking flange to stop it from backing away from the rod end. There is a small cut in the rack end where you take a punch and dimple the flange. The pic I took is blurry but if you look you can see a small red grease spot where I dimpled the flange.

Install the SPL rod end shank onto the spindle as shown using a washer/locknut and then use the 2 gold colored nuts as shown to hold the shank from spinning. Torque the upper nut to 10-15 ft/lbs.

Remove the 2 gold colored nuts. Now you can install the shank into the rod end. At this point you have a few options with the bump steer spacers. If you dont have a bump steer gauge then SPL recomends making the rod sit paralell with the lower control arm. All you need to do is install the bump steer spacers loosly with the lower nut and then jack up the LCA until the wieght of the car is resting on the jack. This should be as close to your ride hieght as you would get on the ground. Now you should be able to see how many spacers you need to accomplish this.

Here I tried 2 spacers and you can see even before jacking it up they would probablly not be enough.

Now that I found it takes 3 spacers on my setup I torqued the lower lock nut to 10-15 ft/lbs. As you can see in the pic with the cars weight on the jack that my steering rod is paralell with the LCA.

After you do all of that you can secure the rack boots with the supplied zip ties and then tighten down all the adjustment lock nuts on the inner and outer rods.

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
As always a very nice write up with great explanations and pictures.

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
QUOTE (mestizo @ Jun 9 2007, 01:21 PM)
Thanks bro. Well I got some news about my front end peices. Basically the bumper will not be here for a long ass time, so I just decided to cancel the order with Touge Factory and get my money back. So Now I have to look for a passenger side Silvia Fender and a Silvia Aero bumper again. Fucking shit man! emthdown.gif

I may be able to help with the fender. I have some parts that we can work with if you want.

Take care

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Sweet yea let me know.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well Andrew got the refund money from Touge factory today, so I took that money and ordered my 5 lug conversion hubs. Hopefully they will be here soon. Tomorrow I'm gonna head out to venus with Havi and see if they have a silvia front bumper and passenger fender that I can buy. LOL maybe I'll finally have a Silvia front end, considering I had the money for it back in march and it is now mid June. Anways I'll update tomorrow if I get some stuff.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
I went to venus today and i got reminded why i have never gone there. it's amazing that this guy even stays in business with the way he handles his products and his customer service skills or complete lack there of. After I left I was really upset rant.gif cuz he was completely unwilling to work with me despite the fact I had a large pocket full of cash that I was ready to spend.

Anyways Im not gonna talk any more about it, just thinking about makes me pissed. guns.gif So if anyone out there knows where I can get a real s13 OEM metal silvia fender for the passenger side or even both sides that are in good condition/price please let me know. LOL and the one "Aero bumper" he had was a fake chargespeed bumper, it doesn't look anything like the nissan aero bumper I was trying to buy.

Fuck im so mad that I still dont have my silvia front end. emthdown.gif

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
UPDATES!!!!!

I went over to Jon's house today and fabbed up a rear strut brace from an idea that I had, then he took the basic concept and added his own dopeness to it! So now I have the 1st Stealth Fab S13 rear strut bar. emthup.gif Man this bar is so fucking stiff! lol I'm sure i am going to have to relearn the car again tho, o well small sacrafice to the drift gods. Thanks again Jon!

Jon took some measurements from his S13 coupe and started by coping/notching the 1" tubing.

Now that we got all the measurments on his car I backed mine up into the drive way to get tack welded together. In these pics he is taking the forward bar.

Now time to tack the rear bar.

All taked up and ready to come out to be finish welded.

Did I mention that Jon can weld really good?!?!?

Finished bar installed and getting a 2 thumbs up from Andrew in the back seat. I am going to leave the bar this way for now, later I plan to get it powder coated a titanium color.

RicerX

RicerX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Cars and Girls
Looks good, think I could get some custom bars made for my future track car project?
02 Toyota Celica GT (dead)
91 Honda CRX LS V-tec (will be missed)
H1Racing.com

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Dunno, possibly. But we would need a car to the mock up on.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well I finally got around to installing my Odyssey PC680 battery. I just did a quick install for now cuz later I plan on removing the battery tray and moving the battery itself closer to the side of the car so my intercooler piping can come up through the area that the battery sits in now. Also my Ichiba 5 lug conversion finally came. As soon as I get all my 17" tires I'll throw the 5 lug on and see how big of spacers I am going to need to sit flush with my wide body.

Ichiba front and rear bolt on 5 lug conversion.

Old battery

New battery, man you can see all the corosion on the tray from the old battery. The tray will be removed later so I'm not worried about it for now.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well It is time for some updates. I know its been a bit slow but after my lung collapsed I can't really work on my car for long. So for about an hour everyday I have been doing stuff to the car. Thanks to Andrew, Jon, my Dad and my girl Kelly for helping me do the work.

So to start off with I did the Ichiba bolt on 5 Lug conversion, this is by far simplest and cheapest way to convert your 240 to 5 lug. As some of you may remember from an earlier post I was not going to do a 5 lug conversion, the reason I ended up going this way was because finding 4 lug wheels in the right offset and width was not easy, when I did find them they were too expensive. So when I got a deal on 6 MB Motoring Weapons at $110/each in 5 lug the decision was made for me.

I also installed my energy suspension rear bushings since I was doing the 5 lug. Lastly I pulled my stock USDM front end off and fit my JDM Silvia front end on the car, at the moment it is just a rough fitment. Later I'll do some minor body work and sanding, but for now I will just primer it all black.

Ok on to the pics...

Silvia front end conversion, this is the USDM front end.

Remove the 4 bolts that hold the hood on.

Remove the 3 bolts on the edge of the fender.

Remove the bolts that hold the pop up head lights in place.

Remove the 2 top bolts on the pop up headlight brackets.

Remove the lower bolt for the headlight brackets, remove the plastic clips from the lower shroud of the bumper and unplug the horn connector.

Flip the headlights up and remove the remaining bolts, these are a bit tricky but you can get them with an extension and a universal joint.

Pull the marker lights.

Pull the side marker lights.

Remove the bolts and nuts from the lower portion of the bumper and fender support.

Remove the 2 bolts and the bottom of the fender by the door. Then ther are 2 more bolts that hold the fender, one is accessed by removing the plastic fender liner and using a couple of extensions. The second remaining bolt is accessed through the door jamb when you open the door.

Fender liner removed for access to one of the last bolts.

Now you can see the bolt inside the fender.

Now you can just pull the front end off in one piece as you can see by this pic. There may be a few more bolts to take off but my front end was missing a few pieces when I got the car. In the pic you can see my Dad, Jon and Andrew.

Now for the Silvia Front end. Parts you need are the all from an S13 JDM Nissan Silvia, both fenders, hood, headlight brackets, front bumper, bumper support, head lights, corner lights and grill. There is a way to make the USDM bumper support work which I will show later. But for now this is just a general fitment of the body parts. Everything is a direct bolt on, the only real modifications are to the lighting wires.

Now you just install everything in reverse order. Right side Silvia fender.

Left side.

Now the headlight brackets, head lights and corner lights.

Front bumper.

I got a Monkey Magic front lip so it was installed next.

Now the hood. I didn't get a Silvia Grill because I dont care for the way they look, but later I will get mesh style grill. At this point you pretty much have a complete Silvia front end.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Now time for the front 5 lug conversion.

Jack the car up, remove the wheel and then remove the 2 caliper mount bolts. After you remove the bolts you can swing the caliper out of the way in one piece. Then you just zip tie or wire tie the caliper up.

Pop the dust cap, then remove the cotter pin, spindle nut and washer.

Now you can remove the rotor.

Then just pull the 4 lug hub and bearing off and clean up the spindle with a rag.

Here the spindle has been cleaned and the dust shield has been removed. Removing the dust shield is what I did but this is not a part of the 5 lug install.

Now get your 5 lug hub/bearing and slide it on to the spindle.

After you slide the hub/bearing on, install the spindle washer.

Then install the spindle nut, run it on by hand and torque to factory specs. Once it's torqued reinstall the cotter pin and dust cap. Viola Front 5 lug installed. At this point you can either redrill your stock rotors to 5x114.3 or install S14 SE rotors.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Rear 5 lug conversion.

Jack the car up, remove the wheel and then remove the 2 caliper bolts, swing the caliper out of the way and tie it up.

Now remove the caliper mount bolts and pull the mount with the pads as one piece.

Pull the rotor off and remove the cotter pin.

Now remove the axel lock clip and axel nut.

Now from the back side to remove the hub there are 4 bolts, these are access by using the cut out reliefs in the axel itself. Rotate the axel until you can get a socket wrench on bolt then just repeat this till all 4 bolts have been removed.

Here you can see the relief in the axel.

In this pic you can see 2 of the 4 bolts holding the hub/bearing on.

Now just pull the hub/bearing off and install the new 5 lug/bearing in the reverse order. In my case I trimmed the dust sheild and reinstalled it.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Here is a vid of my progress from may 2007 til June 2007. I don't have anything more recent at the moment.

Right click and "Save as"
http://mestiso.net/m...izojune2007.wmv

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well did a home alignment and finally got the car all primered for now. This will be good enough until my lung gets better and I can do some body work to the car. But I dont think it looks bad at all.

Stripped the fenders of the OEM paint and scuff sanded everything with 400 grit sand paper.

Front lip scuffed.

Hood scuffed and the car masked off.

Ready for paint!!!

I didn't get a chance to take any of pics it getting painted or the final assembly, I figured there was enough pics of that already. So on to the finished pics.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well I went out last night to see if I could slide the car with the new 17's on it and to my surprise it slides just fine!!! lol they are a bit harder to keep spinning but nothing that I can't deal with. Anyways I made a video of last night, I don't think I did a bad job for not drifting for a month plus my car has a completly different setup now. Only problem is I still can't drift for very long before I get winded, my lung still needs time to fully recover.

Right click and "Save as"
http://mestiso.net/m...zo7-29-2007.wmv

assassin10000

assassin10000

GTS Diff abuser!!!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
chair.gif You hella drowned out the commentary! emthdown.gif

Otherwise emthup.gif

Andrew

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
QUOTE (assassin10000 @ Jul 30 2007, 12:39 AM)
chair.gif You hella drowned out the commentary!  emthdown.gif

Otherwise  emthup.gif

Andrew

LOL I kno bro, freaking Windows Vista version of Windows movie maker has hella bugs in it, which I found several of them last night. Unlike the XP version I cannot select a cerrtian point of the music and lower it. I either lower the music for whole thing or I don't.

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Sick, Sick, SICK! That is awesome! I am so glad that she still spins them...I bet you are not having any push problems...lol Oh I am having a little issue with the progression vid. It does not want to play longer than a few seconds.

Take care
Jon

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Thanks Jon, which vid are you talking about, this most recent one or another?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users