Welcome to SDR Garage Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mestizo's 92 Nissan 240SX Coupe Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well it's been a long ass weekend, but we got some shit worked out with the car lol. Not everything is done but this is as good as it's gonna get until we have more time to clearance things and actually get some track time in to work out all the bugs.

In the quest for more angle we went thru a couple prototypes and ended up with these custom cut knuckles. After that I put my adjustable FLCA's on and then I had to go with S14 inner tie rods so that I would have enough adjustment to set the toe on the front end. The end result is A LOT of angle, lol. Only problem is I have not had a chance to clearance the fender tubs so not all of the angle will be taken advantage of until that gets worked out.

More of Jonnie's fabbing greatness! haha

Z32 inner tie rod vs. S14 inner length

Welded up...

This is max angle before the tie rod goes over center.

Adjustable bump stops!

Clearanced the FLCA lip and then added some bracing.

Fully assembled and at max angle.

Bump stop demonstration.

Jon placed the bump stop prior to the welded area of the knuckle, not that it needed it but we felt it would be better if it hit the area before the weld rather than after the weld.

Final product, braced, welded cleaned up and painted.

Angle check!

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Small update, no pics tho... Jon managed to get off of work a bit early today, so we got the fender tubs clearanced and the steering rack centered perfectly!

I am hella hyped about tomorrow!!! thumbsup.gif

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Post competition update!!!

I took 4th place!!! Not bad for having no practice time on this setup tho. No vids yet but here some pics for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Dirt drop on turn 3.

Coming over turn 5.

Andy and I in turn 3.

Again Andy and I coming thru turn 4.

Fabian and I coming thru 3... I am 3 wheelin it thru the turn lol

Scott leading me going into 4

Here I am leading Scott going into 3

Just Droo

Just Droo

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
SUPER GANGSTER!

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
A few quick updates!

I sold my Carbing front strut bar and am now running a prototype Stealth Custom Fab bar. This clears my valve cover and also has firewall attachment points. We also got the passenger door bar and rear strut bar done. So I will be ready for this Wednesday's comp at Thunderhill.

Fabbing out the new front strut bar.

Painted and installed

Rear shock tower plates that are tied into the top hat plates.

Rear 1.5" DOM strut bar in place

LOL we modded my hood hinges so the hood will actually go far enough up that you can work on the motor.

Sideways~S14

Sideways~S14

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:My Car, Import cars, and r/c cars
Uhhh Son Shit Looks fuckin Gangster! Good Shit Rob and Jonnie

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Well I guess it's time for an update about Wednesday's competition.

In short it was a successful failure...

Success in the sense that my car was handling good again after the addition of the passenger side door bar and the fact that I was doing great during my practice and qualifying runs.

Failure in the fact that I didn't even make past the qualifying round into the "Top 16".

There is a lot I want to say about this, but the "Politically Correct" statement is that the Judges did not agree with my performance. Despite many other driver's and spectators opinions that I should have made it, I some how didn't qualify.

There are some facts that you cannot argue with when it comes to the qualifying runs... so that is why I am left with questions as to why I didn't get in while others did.

I now understand why some truly great driver's choose not to compete, the fun is no longer there when things like this happen.

I'm not done with drifting, this is only the beginning... my day will come!

On a happier note I managed to get some decent footage, I'll throw some of it together so everyone can see how I was driving that day.

Just Droo

Just Droo

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
That's a great way to look at the day. Yes, it was pretty crappy to not see you whoop up on those guys in the tandem runs, but like you said, your day will come.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
UPDATE!!!!

So Round 4 was last Tuesday and I managed to finally get the "fair" chance I had been waiting for... this allowed me to take 4th place at the event and make my way into the Top 5 in series points. So what does this all mean now?! lol I got my invite to the Formula Drift Pro Am Nationals and I made 2010 Thunder Drift Rookie of the Year!!!

WOOT!!!

Now I have to focus on getting my car ready for the Pro Am Nationals, which isn't going to be easy but hey this is what its all about!

My car handled great despite some understeer issue's I had during my inititations, this was caused by my worn out Azenis front tires. Hopefully I can get some new sticky front tires before the Pro Am, if not I will make due like I did at Round 4.

The guys from 4theriders.com were at the track for this round and they got some sweet pics of me, also they had like 10 on car camera's recording our tandem runs. So there should be some sweet video footage coming soon. I would have some Go Pro footage myself, but the battery on the Go Pro died during my qualifying runs.

Speaking of pics... here are some that 4thriders.com took.

Qaulifying runs...

Going into turn 11 and destroying the clipping point lol!

Top 16 battle me vs. Chris Filipi

Top 4 battle me vs. Ryan Kado

Battle for 3rd & 4th place, me vs Fabian Fernandez

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Round 4 preview video! Check it! It's Fabian and I during our 3rd/4th place battle.

http://www.vimeo.com/14755286

Dkslong

Dkslong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Drifting,Skateboarding,touge,music,reading books,and bboying
very nice man glad to see u in some comps^^ no drifting for me as of now might be selling my car and picking up my homies sweet ass C33 laurel he had a fender bender so i would have to fix lights front bumper rear bumper and the side fender>< If I dont sell my car ima put in another roll cage and go to town on my suspension and buy another radiator with a low oil pan and a oil catch tank.

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
Pre 2011 update... I wasn't too sure that I was even going to have a 2011 season due to lack of financial backing. But thanks to Jason I got some money and another sponsorship towards this season! That being said, I plan to make the car meet the Formula D rules for this season.

I decided since this is a full time track car that there was no need for a few things, so all my HVAC controls and everything under the dash is going to be removed. Also I removed the factory wiring harness and am going to build my own wiring setup. There should be some decent weight savings involved in what I am doing so that is a plus!

Pics say it all...

Removing the dash, HVAC and wiring harness.

Pulling the engine harness.

Removing all the power stuff from the doors, we are going to cut the doors down to just a skin and handle.

Now for what Jason and some other have been eagerly awaiting... PAINT!

silentj95835

silentj95835

I can't make up my mind!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
god damn she is going to be a sexy bi@tch. thanks for the props. glad I can help out finally. we will get the rest of the small parts off this weekend like we talked about and primed too. get some more booth time next week for paint and ill be happier than a suma ma bitch. drift season 2011 here we come.

Paint pics from my photobucket:
parts
fun stuff
customers parts
complete cars: Jesse James, Drew, Mestizo's and my cars

http://s201.photobuc...8/SILENTJ95835/

InfamousJesseJames

InfamousJesseJames

Dave!... Listen up!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:WOMEN &amp; CARS what else is there
Good Shit Dude!!! Cant wait to see this all done up and you back on the track!!! Do Work Son!!!!

Shit looks good Jay!!!

Just Droo

Just Droo

• Known Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
Awesome! Good job on the paint Jay...pics don't do it any justice. I guess I gotta get the roll cage done so you can paint the rest.

LOL this is Jon signed in as Droo

silentj95835

silentj95835

I can't make up my mind!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
lol u sneaky sneaky guy. i thought it was droo. lol. i will call are glass guy on monday that we use from the body shop since he lives in antelope and have him pull all glass out for us. make our lives easier for the both of us. i pulled the dent out of the side of robs car today and got it fiber haired and partially sanded so i can skim it with glaze putty and prime when i shoot the shell. im trying to get as much done as i can. skool is starting jan 18th for me so i gotta hall ass.knowing you it will get done soon. i grabbed the rear bumper,trunk, rear filler and gas door. ill prime those and paint this week and back to rob by this coming weekend. yeah buddy.

parts
fun stuff
customers parts

mestizo

mestizo

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 1456 posts
More paint work from Jason!

Trunk, rear filler panel and gas door... next up should be the rear bumper and hood then the rest of the car will get painted after we get the full cage in. WOOT!!!!

Jonnie Fraz

Jonnie Fraz

The Fab Man!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
Very nice! Well to add to this little build I picked up 54' of 1-1/2"x.120 DOM, so it is about time for some cage madness.

InfamousJesseJames

InfamousJesseJames

Dave!... Listen up!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:WOMEN &amp; CARS what else is there
It was a dark and cloudy day when the clouds opened up and the light shined down upon the Mestizo S13. As Jonnie Fraz descended from the heavens he said "Mestizo, it is time...to finish the cage" (Mystical religious sounds play in the background)

LMAO

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

silentj95835

silentj95835

I can't make up my mind!

• Gods of Mestiso.net
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
lol Jesse.

glass guy will be at Robs monday morning for glass removal and let the fun begin. cage and primer baby. then its all down hill from there. Ill have some freshly painted parts for you tomorrow Rob, finish that quarter panel and sand what i can of the car over the weekend. ill prime your hood at your place and take it home to finish. The rear bumper will be done next week,still fixing the crack in the bottom.

trunk top

parts
fun stuff
customers parts

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users